The goose is getting FAT!! lol. Just kidding. (About the goose anyway!) Life sure has been hectic around here preparing for the big day! We had Sawyers "Wemo Paaarty" (Nemo Party in sawyer-ese). It was great. We had pizza and wings and it was a pretty mellow gathering for the most part.
My christmas shopping is almost done. The boys pretty much are. Now if only I could stop seeing things I think they MUST have! I have a few extended family left to get for, and alot of baking to do next week :)
We got hit pretty hard Thursday night/early friday morning with rain/sleet/ice. We lost power for a short time here. About 2:30 am until about 4:15 am. I had been up with a sick Sawyer when it went out. and was up with a disgruntled farmer when it came back on... lucky me :) In all seriousness though, we were concerned about the barn, milking with the generator and Philip not getting oatmeal for breakfast!
Sure enough though, the barn was flooded. Big time. Poor Willie was standing in about 2 inches of water, and the girls in the last section near the end of the barn were totally flooded as well. Wet udders and all. Our little sump pump was NOT going to work. Philip milked, wading through rough waters, and after he was done, called around to find a pump that was bigger. We did, and it worked. Thank Goodness! We were able to get all the water out of the barn before the temperature dropped below freezing. We would of had a skating rink!
Every calf that could get loose that morning did, although it was quite cute, and their spunky little attitudes and total cuteness, entertained Philip and I, and kept us from losing our minds with all that had gone wrong.
There are still quite a few without power, and it really makes me think about how lucky we were this time around. And how blessed we are in general to have the things, luxeries really, that we have, and just how much we take them for granted. Farming is alot of hard work for sure, but it was alot harder back in the days when they did everything by hand or horse. Sometimes when everything seems to go wrong, it's easy to forget that things really could be worse. Alot worse.
So that is about all for now. I most likely won't get a chance to get back to update again before the holidays.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! (and to all a GOOD NIGHT!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yikes! I'm glad you guys got the water out of the barn in time. I didn't realize it had flooded.
I can't believe all the people with no power in our area. We were lucky too and we never lost it.
Post a Comment